WordPress is the most popular content management system on the web. Also it helps you to have your first website up and running live. So it lets you to be open to the market faster without spending too much for development. Therefore, in this article I am going to teach you how to use WordPress to create your company website.
For this tutorial, I am assuming that you have a basic wordpress installed. So let us login to the WordPress admin panel and get started.
Step 1 – Change Settings
Since you will need to change some of the default settings of WordPress, like your Title and the Tagline. So here are the steps do that.
- Open the admin panel.
- Click on the Settings Link.
- Goto General Settings page.
- Change the following as per your requirement.
- Site Title.
- Site Tagline.
- Email Address.
Step 2 – Change Logo
- Goto Appearance => Customize
- Click on Select Logo
- Upload the Logo and Select the File
While now you know how to use WordPress and change its settings and logo, so how about adding some pages now.
Step 3 – Create Pages
Now you will need to create some basic pages to get your website started. So let me show you how to add a page in WordPress admin panel.
- Click on the Pages Link.
- Click on Add New button.
- Enter a title.
- Write the content of the page.
Now that you know how to create a page, you will need to create the following pages.
- Home Page.
- Welcome your users.
- Share some important aspect of your company.
- Highlight the primary products and services.
- This will the first impression for most your visitors.
- Products Page.
- This page is required if you have some products to sell.
- Here you will list all the products.
- Also try to add images of your products.
- If required create individual pages for each of your products, and write a summary in this page. Also make sure you have a link of that product in this page.
- Services Page.
- If you provide some sort of services then create this page.
- Also explain about each of the services which you provide.
- In addition If required create individual pages for your primary services and link them from services page.
- Customers Page.
- In this page you can write about your Customers.
- In addition It would not be a bad idea to use their logo, so make sure you have the necessary permission.
- Also you can add the testimonials from you customers.
- About Page – This is the page where you can write about:
- How the company was founded.
- What is the vision of the company.
- Also write about the founders.
- And don’t forget to write about people in your companies.
- Contact Page – Add the following.
- Company Address
- Phone Number
- Email Address
- You can embed a contact or feedback form as well.
Step 4 – Create Post Category
Add a category “Blog”. Also this will be category under which you will post all the blog. So here is how you should do it.
- Goto Posts —> Category.
- Enter a category “Blog” in the “Add Category Section.
- Set “blog” as slug.
- Choose parent as None.
- Click on “Add New Category”.
Finally you know how to use WordPress, change its setting, create some pages. So, lets move to the next stage and add the menus.
Step 5 – Add Primary Menu
In this step you will learn how to add links to your pages as menu items. So first of all you will need to create a menu. So here are the steps to create a menu. Also I will show you how to add menu items to the menu.
- Goto Appearance => Menus.
- Click on “create a new menu” link.
- Enter Menu Name as “MainMenu”.
- Click on Create Menu button
- Ensure that you checked the checkbox “Primary Menu” options for Themes locations.
- To add the pages you will need to add them from the Pages section.
- Select the checkbox for the corresponding Page
- And Click on Add to Menu
- Also Make sure you click on “Save Menu” button after you have made the changes.
Since you know how to add the pages now, go ahead and add the following pages to the menu in the given order.
So how to use WordPress for Company Website?
Finally, you know how to use WordPress and have your company website ready. While this was a basic tutorial to get you up and running, you can do lot with WordPress.
So why not share your story in the comments below.